Being an ‘ex’ hair puller, I get this question a lot. “I pull my hair out, will it ever grow back?” The answer is ‘yes’, your hair will grow back. No matter how long you’ve been pulling your hair out, no matter how many times you’ve pulled your eyelashes out. Take it from me. I pulled my hair out for over forty years. Then I invented the Trich Stop System, applied my all natural hair regrowth oil and started being kind to myself. And I stopped pulling my eyelashes and hair out, which allowed the hair to start growing back. Which it did. Now, it is true that my eyelashes are probably slightly thinner than they woudl have been naturally (my entire family has gorgeous eyelashes – wouldn’t it figure!), but in all honesty, you can’t really tell the difference. I now have a full set of eyelashes and all of my hair back. And after 40 years, I’m more than happy with that. So if you are trying to cure your hair pulling condition, it’s important to know that the hair will grow back. Here are some facts about hair regrowth that are good to know when you are going through your trichotillomania treatment.
- Human hair grows approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month, or 6 inches per year.
- Heat, as well as Vitamin D from the sun can stimulate growth, so getting sun on your hair will make your hair may grow back faster.
- Your body is constantly shedding hair. Hair follicles go through three phases during their life cycle: the anagen phase for about three years, a transitional phase and the telogen phase for about three months, when hair rests. Once this phase ends, the hair is shed.
- The scalp sheds about 100 hairs per day. Because each strand is in a different phase, normal hair loss is unnoticeable. At any given period, you have approximately 100,000 hairs on your head.
- Eyelashes naturally grow, fall out, and grow back again. Eyelashes also go through the 3 phases of hair: growth, transition, and resting phases. The 1st phase is when eyelashes grow and lasts up to a maximum of 45 days. After which, they go through the 2nd phase which may last up to 3 weeks, when the eyelashes stop growing. In the 3rd phase, the lashes are not growing and stay for approximately 100 days before they then fall out.
- It normally takes up to 8 weeks for an eyelash to grow back fully.